What are the best shoes for vet techs? Many people don’t appreciate the hard, yet remarkable, work done by veterinary professionals.
In fact, these guys do much more hard work than human doctors. Imagine trying to treat a dog that won’t tell you where the pain is – so hard a task!
To succeed in such a profession, you need to have the correct gear. One of the things to have is the right pair of shoes to enable you to move around comfortably without straining your feet.
In this guide, we review the best shoes for vet techs, while still showing you the benefits of having them and factors to consider when buying.
Related: Best Shoes for Physical Therapists
- 1 Benefits of Getting the Right Shoes for Vet Techs
- 2 Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
- 3 Best Shoes for Vet Techs Reviews
Benefits of Getting the Right Shoes for Vet Techs
The right shoes keep you warm and clean. Secondly, they ensure you appear presentable and professional. Apart from that, there are other benefits of having the right shoe for vet techs as discussed below.
Protects your feet from chemical and lab hazards
The nature of your profession as a vet technician exposes you to a lot of lab hazards and chemicals. For example, fallen sharp objects might pierce your feet, while hazardous chemicals might destroy your skin. As such, it is vital to have specialized shoes that will protect and keep you safe.
Offers comfort when standing or walking
As a vet technician, there is a need to stand for long hours during surgical procedures, and therefore comfort is important for you to concentrate fully on your work. You are also required to stand while speaking to the pet owners when explaining the sickness of their beloved animal. Therefore, you require the right of shoes, cushioned to absorb shock, and comfortable to stand and walk on.
Related: Best Shoes for Massage Therapists
Offer needed balance and stability
Labs are full of spilled chemicals and slippery detergents. Having the wrong shoes can make you slide and fall leading to unwanted accidents. It is therefore necessary to have the right shoe with enhanced traction for proper grip, thus giving you balance and stability.
Buying Guide (What to consider/lookout for)
Vet techs are mostly on their feet and they move a lot. With this in mind, it is important to consider a durable shoe, comfortable to walk in, and shoes that provide enhanced support for the weight of the body. Also, due to the sweating involved it is important to consider the breathability of which is aided by the inner lining and the type of the upper.
Below are some detailed factors to consider when buying a shoe for a vet technician.
The comfort of the shoe is paramount especially if you walking or standing for long periods of time. To ensure comfort in the shoes that you buy, check for the outsole, insole, and midsole cushioning features. Make sure the shoe has arch support to support your ankle when standing. Additionally, see if the inner lining is cushioned and if the shoe has shock-absorbing attributes.
Related: Best Waterproof Work Boots
While the main attribute of the shoe should be its ability to offer protection to the feet, it is important that the shoes can last as long as practically possible. Shoes are made of different materials some of which are durable while others are flimsy. If you are looking for a durable pair of shoes, ensure it is made of materials such as leather or polyurethane. Also, see if your shoes can withstand water and other shoe destroying agents such as mud.
Walking around causes sweating on your feet. Consequently, the feet develop a bad odor that might be a turn-off to potential clients. To ensure your feet do not sweat while working, get a breathable pair of shoes –sweat resistant. Check if the upper is made of meshy material to know if the shoes are breathable.
The grip is always an important factor to consider when buying any shoe. Since the work of a vet technician involves roaming around the lab, ensure the shoes you buy have enhanced tread patterns for proper traction even on slippery surfaces. A shoe with a proper grip prevents you from trips and eventual falls.
Attractiveness and versatility
A presentable doctor or vet office gives assurance and confidence to their client – it shows that you know what you are doing. For you to look presentable you have to wear the right attires and attractive matching shoes. Again, the local community around knows you as a vet technician, and therefore you are bound to get a job anytime you are working around. Since you don’t have to change your shoes every now and then, it is advisable to have versatile shoes that can be worn on various occasions.
Related: Best Work Boots for Landscaping
Best Shoes for Vet Techs Reviews
There are a variety of shoes available in the market today. This means that to get the right shoe for a vet technician is a difficult task. To make it easier for you to select from the available lot, we have reviewed three of the best shoes in the market.
Originally these shoes were made for hiking, biking, and camping, but they can be worn just about anywhere. It’s suitable for people who spend their entire day standing. The shoe looks casual, extremely comfortable, and it’s an easy pull-on design.
The Merrell Men’s Jungle Moc Slip-on Shoe features a stain and water-resistant leather upper construction making it suitable for the daily usage of vet technicians.
For comfort, its outsole is made of rubber with air cushioning around the heel for shock absorption and added stability.
Its elastic side goring feature makes it an easy slip-on design for convenient wearing, while the breathable mesh lining keeps sweat and moisture from affecting the smell of your shoes. This makes it one of the best shoes for vet techs.
- 100% percent pure suede leather construction to enhance durability
- Rubber outsole construction for comfort and durability
- Pigskin lining for added comfort
- Merrell Air cushion in the heel for shock absorption and added stability
- Classic slip-on design for convenience wearing
- Thick cushioned midsole for added stability and comfort
- Compression-molded EVA foot-frame to enhance cushioning
- Breathable mesh lining to prevent sweating
- Ortholite footbed that provides comfort
- Lightweight design
- Appears in different colors and sizes
- Highly slip resistance even on slippery grounds
- Provides ankle support
- Stylish and versatile design
- Good looking and comfortable design
- They are not water-resistant or waterproof
- No traction on very slippery trail and muddy conditions
Related: Best Security Guard Shoes
This footwear is made for ‘stay on your feet’ industries making them one of the best shoes for vet technicians. They are an amazing slip-on design for women looking for comfortable yet stylish shoes.
Its construction features a durable synthetic upper material, and anti-slip and long-lasting sole that offers comfort and safety. What makes this shoe even more amazing, is the thick toe region that protects your feet from impact, and the removable and washable footbed liners.
The insole is cushioned for shock absorption when walking on hard grounds to ensure you stay comfortable all day long. Additionally, its arch support adds to its comfort features, while the roomy design ensures you don’t strain your feet.
- 100% synthetic construction which is durable
- Thick toe region to protect your feet from impact
- Removable and washable footbed liners
- Slip-resistant outsole with enhanced tread patterns
- Thick cushioned insole for added comfort
- Generous roomy design
- Tested and certified
- Waterproof and durable
- Easy to clean
- Lightweight design
- Available in a variety of tasteful colors and graphic
- Anti-slip design
- Versatile application
- Easy slip-on design
- Room design to accommodate people with wide feet
- Removable footbed that allows for customization
- They are mostly made for ladies
- They might make your feet sweat
- Not suitable for extremely muddy conditions
Related: Best Work Boots for Mechanics
If you’re looking for comfort, durability, and support this is one of the shoes to consider. It is specifically designed for medics and other people who their job involves roaming around and standing a lot, thus making it a suitable shoe for vet techs.
The shoe features a durable polyurethane upper construction that is easy to wash, offers comfort, while still protecting the feet from harsh weather and impacts.
Its outsole features with enhanced tread patterns offer the needed traction even in slippery surfaces. Also, its thick cushioned footbed acts as a shock absorber, thereby making it comfortable for use all day long.
Additionally, the shoe is a slip-on design, flat from heel to toe with arch support at the heel, and removable insole – all which adds to its safety, comfort, and convenience.
- Long-lasting polyurethane upper construction
- Lightweight yet durable synthetic outsole
- Enhanced tread patterns for proper grip
- Thick cushioned footbed for added comfort
- Removable and customizable insole
- Features nice arc support to add to the heel comfort
- Original Birkenstock footbed to enables body weight support
- Flat from heel to toe for added comfort
- Unisex design for both men and women
- Available in three classic colors
- Easy to wash design
- Removable arc support for people with orthotic
- Lightweight yet durable design
- Versatile in application
- Comfortable slip-on design
- They are prone to squeaking
- The outsole collect a lot of dirt
- A bit expensive for people working under budget